Friday, August 21, 2009

struggling to write a sermon

sermon preparation is a very difficult process for me, probably because i'm relatively new at it and i'm still learning the process. but last night i was sitting and working on what i'll preach next week and i was STRUGGLING! i can't seem to break through all my random thoughts and grab hold of that driving idea. and then i wrote this in my journal:

"maybe i'm striving according to my flesh. maybe i'm trying to muscle this through in my own strength. maybe i just need to humble myself before the Lord, in fasting and prayer, and let him guide."

that was huge for me. i think sometimes we're working and striving and it's just not there yet. for whatever reason, God hasn't given it yet. i think in those moments you have to pull back, go do something else, clear your mind, pray, and come back to it fresh.

so i packed up, went home and had dinner with my wife. hopefully the Lord will clear the fog today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your struggle, I think many pastors face the same challenges, whether they have preaching for years, or are brand new. When you get stumped, or just run out of time, check out preachit.org Lots of great ideas, powerpoints, and you can search
within the text, search authors, search bible books or even by topic. Best of luck and God Bless!