Friday, October 12, 2012

On Pins & Needles: How Churched People Often Feel About Christianity [dope song]

Mute Math has quickly become one of my favorite bands. A great blend of seemingly boundless creativity,  outstanding musicianship, and penetrating lyrics. Not to mention a downright transcendent live show. In short, this band is SICK!

This particular song, I think, expresses how so many (especially young) people feel who grew up in church. The song is a mix of disillusionment, doubt, and a burgeoning realization that there's something better than burdensome religion.

My favorite line is "I'm growing fond of broken people as I see that I am one of them." I think the early Christian leader, the Apostle Paul, could probably have made this song the soundtrack of his life leading up to his conversion.

This song screams for the Gospel.

Would love your thoughts.



Paper-thin conviction
Turning another page
Plotting how to build myself to be
Everything that I am not at all

Sometimes I get tired of pins and needles
Facades are a fire on the skin
And I'm growing fond of broken people
As I see that I am one of them

Oh, why must I work so hard
Just so I can feel like the noble ones?
Obligations to my heart are gone
Superficial lines explain it all

Sometimes I get tired of pins and needles
Facades are a fire on the skin
Oh, I'm growing fond of broken people
As I see that I am one of them

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did Mutemath used to be a Christian band? I think they all claim to be Christians which is awesome. They’re awesome and this song has a lot of raw truth and honesty in it. I can’t tell if the lyrics are about someone who believes but is majorly doubting with “paper-thin convictions” or if it’s about someone who has basically lost faith - “Obligations to my heart are gone..”

I can for sure relate. Sometimes the thought crosses my mind, what if none of this is real? What if in 500 years, we’re looking back at ideas of God and Jesus with disbelief that we ever thought they were real. It’s hard to follow something intangible that you can’t clearly see or hear, especially when “the world” tells you it’s not real.

Unknown said...

Never heard of Mutemath, but just like Carli...thoughts do cross my mind regarding whether God is real and if Christianity isn't just another religion.

I think the one thing that keeps me rooted in those milliseconds of doubt are my experiential connection to Christ. I know not only because the Bible says so or a preacher shouts it out at me...I live Christ and experience through the good and the bad. That thought and the memories keep me rooted in my faith.